Saturday, March 13, 2010

Off the Beaten Path - Lilette in New Orleans, LA

This is going to be a new segment for my blog. I have recently eaten in some really great places that are "off the beaten path." New Orleans is well-known for many things, not the least of which is food. There are many unique places to eat in the French Quarter that are well-known to tourists and locals alike. On our last visit to New Orleans I decided to visit the Garden District instead of just staying in the Quarter.

After taking the streetcar uptown and enjoying a good stretch of the legs I realized I needed some energy to finish up the rest of my touring. I found Lilette, a classic french bistrot. The wine list was amazing and loaded with French wines. I selected a Fournier Sauvingon Blanc which proved to be the perfect foil for the quintessential French rolls. The rolls were crusty and crunchy on the outside but inside were soft and fluffy. Even though I knew I was going to be eating a sandwich, I still ate two slathered with fresh, creamy butter.

There were specials on the chalkboard, to include local caught frog's legs, but I ordered from the menu. You might think it odd that I would order a BLT in a French bistrot. This was not your run of the mill BLT. The "B" was pork belly, meltingly rich with mixed baby greens for the "L" and roasted plum tomatoes for the "T." Served on toasted sourdough bread with a parsley aioli it paired perfectly with the Sauvingon Blanc. Thank goodness for a knife and fork! I was able to get a bite of everything without making a huge mess trying to eat the whole thing.

Making a decision from the dessert menu was tough but I managed to chose an incredible to die for sweet treat. A poached pear arrived with a quenelle of goat cheese creme fraiche garnished with lavender honey and pistachios. The flavor profile was sweet but not cloying and the tangy goat cheese creme fraiche provided a nice balance. The pistachios added texture and crunch. I was a happy girl and very glad that I had to take a walk when I really wanted to take a nap.

I have included a link to the Lilette website but you must go to really appreciate the uniqueness, ambiance and cuisine of this gem off the beaten bath in New Orleans.

No comments:

Post a Comment